The Hamilton Store opened November 1, 2013 in the HIStory + HERitage building at 165 James Street North – in the heart of Hamilton’s downtown arts and culture community.
It’s a a gift shop with a difference.
Everything sold at The Hamilton Store has a Hamilton connection.
The commercial building, built in 1882, once home to a bakery, barber shop, confectionary and luggage store, entered the 21st century when Graham Crawford arrived in 2007.
He rescued and restored the main floor commercial space and opened Hamilton’s first privately run storefront museum. The name alone – HIStory + HERitage – was a salute to the men and women who helped shape Hamilton. And their stories were told via multi media DVD presentations that he created.
I met Graham before he opened the gallery. He was in the process of moving back to Hamilton to enjoy his retirement.
Most holiday weekends I rented a table at the Hamilton Farmers’ Market and sold historical images of Hamilton on notecards and magnets. It was a small sideline developed from an ever expanding collection of historical postcards of Hamilton, my love of Hamilton architecture and a to express my creativity.
Late summer – 2013 – Graham shared that he was going to close the gallery and asked me when I was going to open my long talked of “Hamilton Store. ” He offered me the chance to create it in the HIStory + HERitage gallery space.
The Hamilton Store is a celebration of the community I love. My home. The place where I’ve put down roots. A neighbourhood and a city where I am an involved, engaged citizen.
The shop will celebrate Hamilton and be a source of products that feature this city visually, artistically and with product made by real people who live here. It’s about stories and community.
A shop where residents, visitors, guests, students and tourists will find a wide range of gifts with a Hamilton connection.
- Photographs, prints and fine art that visually celebrate Hamilton as a subject.
- Gourmet food gifts made in Hamilton.
- Unique hand crafted items created by Hamiltonians.
- Teas blended in Hamilton. Fair trade coffee roasted in Hamilton.
- Aromatic culinary & beauty products made from lavender – grown in Hamilton.
- Books, prints, posters, postcards and souvenirs.
- Some vintage – and perhaps quirky – Hamiltonia on occasion!
- Custom gift baskets, gifts for corporate functions and conferences. Special occasion celebration
–Donna Reid, Owner/Creator, The Hamilton Store